Welcome to the PAS: APAL website! See About PAS:APAL for an overview of our organization. Special announcements appear at right and left. Links to our publications may be found in the menu bar above, which, with its drop-down menus, contains links to every page on the site. Enjoy!
Boom and Bust: Landscapes of Economic and Cultural Transition
We're pleased to share these images from last year’s Stuart, Florida Conference. Click any image for a larger view and/or to view the photos as a slide show. (Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move through the slideshow, if you wish.)
See more photos: From the Stuart area. From the reception. From the awards ceremony.
The 2011 Conference included a National Register of Historic Places workshop, a self-guided walking tour of historic Stuart, a Treasure Coast day-long field trip, a visit to baseball's Dodgertown in Vero Beach, a tour of Fellsmere, lunch at Marsh Landing (featuring "Old Florida" cuisine), a drive on a stretch of the Old Dixie Highway, a visit to the 1860 lighthouse and museum complex in Jupiter, and beach time. Whew!
Return to top
PAS: APAL member pose on the steps of the recently restored Old Fellsmere School Building in Fellsmere, Florida. (Photo courtesy of Cory Jensen)
PAS: APAL Conference sign at the Wolf-High Technology Center on the campus of Indian River State College in Stuart, Florida (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
The Old Fellsmere School in Fellsmere, Florida, was a Prairie-style building designed by architect Frederick Trimble and built in 1916 at a cost of approximately $40,000.00. The restoration of the building took over two years and $3.2 million dollars. The building now houses City Hall, a community center with auditorium, a Boys & Girls Club, and the kitchen for the annual Fellsmere Frog Leg Festival which serves frog leg dinners to an estimate 80,000 attendees. The Old Fellsmere School was the recipient of a 2011 PAS: APAL Historic Preservation Certificate of Merit. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
Jim Gabbert of Alexandria, VA, examines a headstone in the African American section of Brookside Historical Cemetery outside of Fellsmere, Florida. (Photo courtesy of Scott Roper)
Joel Tyson, the Vice Mayor of Fellsmere, Florida, recounts the story of the community's efforts to preserve and restore Old Fellsmere School to PAS: APAL members. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
Material Culture editor, Sara Beth Keough of University Center, MI, mans the Society registration desk at the Marriott Hotel while Executive Director, Wayne Brew of Philadelphia, PA, looks on. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
The restored Lyric Theatre in Stuart, Florida, was originally built in 1925 as a silent movie house. In 1987, a group of local individuals initiated a campaign to save the historically significant structure. The Lyric Theatre was the 2011 winner of the PAS: APAL Historic Preservation Award. (Photo courtesy of Scott Roper)
The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, Jupiter, Florida, is a 90-foot brick tower with an interior iron stairway that was designed by George G. Meade, who, during the Civil War, led Union Forces against Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Gettysburg. The lighthouse was completed in 1860 at a cost of $60,859.98 and served to warn ships of the Jupiter reefs which lie close to the Gulf Stream. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
Largeflower Primrose Willow was introduced into Florida from South America. It grows wild in marshes, swamps, and around lake and pond margins. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
View of Jupiter Inlet from the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse catwalk, Jupiter, Florida. (Photo courtesy of Scott Roper)
Robert Hutchings of Pittsburgh, PA, and Katie Algeo of Scottsville KY, discuss — what else but Florida oranges, or was that Mammoth Cave mushrooms --during the morning break at the Friday Paper Sessions at the Wolf High-Technology Center at Indian River State College in Stuart, Florida. (Photo courtesy of Cathy Wilson)
An artisan carving Vermont marble at the Vermont Carving Studio and Sculpture Center, West Rutland, VT.
Western Vermont in October.
The Federated Church of Castleton, Castleton, VT, was designed by Thomas Reynolds Dake and built in 1836 as a Congregational Church. It was one of the earliest Vermont churches to combine Greek Revival style architecture with Gothic Revival style.